Blog Post #1 Welcome to EDCI 339

Hello world,

My name is Edmund Cheung and I am currently a 4th year student at UVIC. My major is Economics with a business minor. I am taking this class as an elective and thought it would be interesting to explore this topic.

Distributed and open learning seemed like something more closely related to kindergarten or lower grade levels as that’s what I think it means. I am looking forward to seeing how it differs in different areas of educations or institutions.

I currently use digitals tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, RStudios, Discord/Slack, Outlook, Teams, Linkedlin, Zoom, and Gmail. As my digital tools in my professional life and education. My understanding in digital literacy is that once something has been posted it is very difficult to be removed (essentially impossible), however it is important in open and distributed learning because this difficulty to remove things, can help people learn from their mistakes and be more aware of their online presence.

I think one of the many times, I’ve experienced open and distributed learning is when I am in group projects and we as a group are working on assignment on google drive together. This system is extremely open and all inputs are monitored by other group members and anyone (if given permission) can essentially write or replace other’s sentences. There is a lot of freedom to it and this can be great for brainstorming but a bit complicated if roles are not assigned ahead of time.

That’s all for my first blog post in EDCI 339!

Take care,

Edmund Cheung