Peer Review of Interactive Learning Resource: Pod 5 Poetry

The interactive learning resource that I have decided to review is “Language Arts: Poetry” by learning pod 5.

My initial impression of your group’s interactive learning resource was that it was organized and easy to follow along since it was a presentation like slideshow. The overview page gave the necessary information on different topics and sub topics the resource will go into. A suggestion I have from the initial overview is maybe after this slide, you could add a context page on “what was poetry?”, since some learners might not even know the difference between English literacy works. (Important for youth, foreigners, and others unfamiliar with the concept of poetry.)

The Know/Wonder/Learn chart was a great way to initially diagnose the learners’ knowledge on the topic. The learning resource does a good job in explaining things to the learner. I found that the literary device section was best for many different types of learners since it first explains the literary device then gives an example of each. The way you made learners interact with the learning resource by creating their own examples for literacy devices was another good way for learners to remember things and learn about the concept more deeply. The use of Kahoot was an innovative way to test your learners after the first topic. The score board factor of this tool gives it an unique aspect to learning, the learners are able to get a sense of competition as they might want to get the highest score possible. This made it into a game instead of a test, which I believe most learners would appreciate doing over tests.

The second topic of your group’s learning resource was made to be easy to understand and follow along. Your use of videos in this second topic helped explain the different types of poetry in a way that allowed for the use of other multimedia devices in the learning resource, this made it more engaging to the learner. Going back to the “testing” of your resource the Google Forms quiz was a great formative assessment that gave learners a snapshot of how they were doing, during the learning resource. On the other hand, the Venn Diagram activity does a great job in getting the learners to think outside of the box, since they would need to use the material they’ve learned in previous activities to compare two pieces of poetry.

The final activity of getting the learner to make their own poem was a fantastic way to end the interactive learning resource, it gave the learner a chance to bring everything together that they have learned up until that point, at the end of the resource. This conclusion was a hands-on approach which allowed for the learner to create their own work that they can be proud of, I enjoyed this final aspect of your resource.

Some final pieces of feedback/recommendations:

• Some requirements that were not met in the current resource version:
    • A description and rationale of the learning theory of your resource
    • A description and rationale for the learning design
    • A description of the learning context
    • An overview of your plans for inclusion design of diverse learners
    • A rationale for your technology choices
    • A reference/bibliography
  • For the some of the videos on your learning resource, there weren’t any accessibility options (closed caption) for learners who might have hearing loss.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed your group’s interactive learning resource since I’ve always liked poetry during high school. The learning resource also helped me learn some new things about poetry, as well as giving me nostalgic vibes to back when I was in high school. I really liked this poetry theme and thanks for allowing me to participate in your topic, take care and have a great Summer!